Saturday, April 7, 2012

More Addition Fun!

One Fish, Two Fish

We read One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss. Then we used goldfish crackers to model addition problems. I told addition stories..."You had two fish in your fish bowl. Then you got three more. How many fish do you have in all?" And the kids modeled each problem with their fish crackers and recorded the equation on their white boards. Finally, they drew their own addition problem and recorded an addition sentence to match. Here's my Fishbowl Addition Mat.




Spill & Add

This is a fun and easy game for composing and decomposing numbers five and ten. All you need is two-color counters and a cup. Children shake and spill a cup of five or ten counters onto the table. Then they count and color in how many red and yellow counters there are and write the equation. Click here for my Spill & Add Five Sheet and here for my Spill & Add Ten Sheet.



The Penny Pot

We read The Penny Pot by Stuart J. Murphy. Then we setup a class toy store and children took turns choosing two toys they'd like to buy. I told them the prices and they had to place the correct number of pennies on their piggy bank work mat to pay for the toys. Then they added to find the total and wrote the equations. Here's my Piggy Bank Work Mat

Butterfly Addition

We played Roll & Add using a Butterfly Addition Mat. Each partner rolled a cube and placed that many spots (counters) on their side of the butterfly. They wrote the number sentences on their Recording Sheet. Then we made a butterfly addition craft.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these great freebies. I love the piggy bank sheet. So cute.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the goldfish addition! Cute idea :)

    Melissa
    todayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all of these wonderful ideas! I can't wait to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the "Spill and Add" .... what a fun way to practice addition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you made the fish bowl and I like your versions of spill and add! Thanks for sharing! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! We are starting addition soon. Can't wait to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I was hoping to use you're One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish as an extension activity in a unit I am creating for my district on introduction to addition. I would love to be able to include the photos of the student work you have included to help out the teachers. Is this okay with you? If not, no worries!! If so, how would you like to be recognized? Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing all these great ideas and mats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much!! I love these mats!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you please grant access to the google doc. It say's I need access. Thank you

    ReplyDelete